It’s not a secret that gaining muscle gets more difficult as you get older. But that does not mean you need to forget about your goal of having big arms, chest or abs.
“I’m a huge supporter of doing compound exercises all the time., says 53yo bodybuilder Mark Mcilyar.
“Compound movements will maximize a guy’s testosterone production, which is crucial for men older than 40, because our testosterone is so much less than some in their 20s or even 30s.”
These five workouts are designed to get your testosterone up—and do it fast.
Unless otherwise stated, do these exercises for 15 reps and 3 sets total, resting for 60 seconds between sets. Use weight heavy enough that you have trouble with the last rep.
– Dumbbell press (Stability ball)
– Dumbbell press (Single-arm incline)
– Cable flys (Chest-level)
– Pushups (Stability ball)
Hit each of these exercises for 12 reps and three sets, with 60 seconds rest. Again, your weight should give you trouble on the last rep, but not kill you.
– Hammer rows using a machine
– Shoulder shrugs (Dumbbell)
– T-Bar rows
– Hyper extensions
– Bent-over pulldown
Do 8 reps and 3 sets of these first. Then go on to do rest-pause sets of 8 reps, then 4 reps, and another 4 reps, using only 10 to 15 secs to rest. The cardio will burn much more fat and activate your metabolism.
– Squats (rest-pause)
– Dumbbell Walking lunge
– Dumbbell Walking lunge (rest-pause)
– Leg presses
– Leg presses (rest-pause)
– Split squats, both sides
– Split squats, both sides (rest-pause)
– 10-15 minute cardio
Go big on your shoulders with 6 reps per set and 3 sets and 60 seconds rest, then do rest-pause sets of 6 reps, 3 reps, and then another 3 reps. All three with 10-15 secs rest.
– Military presses (Seated)
– Military presses (Seated) (rest-pause)
– Dumbbell front raises
– Dumbbell front raises (rest-pause)
– Bent-over rear delt flys
– Bent-over rear delt flys (rest-pause)
– Lateral raises (Dumbbell)
– Lateral raises (Dumbbell) (rest-pause)
– Arnold press
– Arnold press (rest-pause)
Back, Bicep, and Tricep Workout
Do these exercises to build your upper body with 3 sets of 8-12 reps, resting 60 seconds but no rest between the exercises.
– Bent-over rows, both sides (Supported)
– Bent-over triceps kickbacks, both sides (Supported)
– EZ bar curls
– Cable pushdown (Straight-arm)
– Cable pushdown (Triceps)
– Seated dumbbell curls
– Seated overhead triceps extensions