Feeling under the weather? Your last trip to the dentist was a lesson in shame?
Better call 9-wine-wine.
That’s because one of the few scientific studies that justifies wine’s cost tells us it is a disinfectant for your mouth.
May I pour you another glass? The Château Pichon Baron Pauillac, 2016, is excellent.
Years ago, a study looked at the antibacterial properties of a variety of beverages, including carbonated drinks, beer, skim milk, water and wine. Each one tested positively for infectious bacteria like salmonella, E. coli, and shigella.
But after two days, wine contained the least amount of live bacteria.
Recently, scientists completed a follow up into why wine had these disinfectant properties, and they found that wine actually kills the specific bacteria that causes sore throats and dental plaque.
It’s true, y’all. The study was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
Before this recent follow-up, it was believed the acidity and alcohol concentration in wine was responsible for its antibacterial properties. But these scientists (who have the best jobs ever) discovered it was the organic compounds found in red and white wines, instead.
When they isolated the compounds – lactic, malic, succinic, and tartaric acids – and offset the acidity, they found the compounds were responsible for destroying 99.9 percent of the bacteria that causes throat infections and the formation of plaque on the teeth.
So this winter, don’t waste your time and money on yucky-tasting throat sprays and harsh mouth rinses. Buy wine instead!
It’s for your health.
Author: Jenifer Sako
Source: Did You Know Facts: Sore Throat and Dental Plaque Getting You Down? A New Study Says Maybe Consider a Glass of Wine